Editorial: Analysis of GUM Candidate pt. 1




Disclaimer: This is an editorial and not the views of Iudette Statistics and should not be perceived as fact. It is the opinion of an individual. If you would like your opinion published please send them to iudettestatistics@gmail.com.   


   An election is underway in the Grand Unified Micronational. Several candidates have stepped forward. I will be analyzing each candidate in separate articles. I will be going over experience, past promises, and future promises. To start I will begin with James Bornstein and Newton von Uberquie.


James Bornstein and Newton von Uberquie

   Let's begin with prior experience, James Bornstein is the current Communications Secretary and has been for several months. This is the only experience in a leadership position James has had. Newton has had far more experience having previously served as the Chair in 2020 and is currently the Vice-Chair of the Grand Unified Micronational. He has also served in several other leadership positions within the GUM. I'm assuming this is why James chose him to be his Vice-Chair.


  James Bornstein made several promises at the beginning of his term as Communications Secretary. The first of which was to update the Minutes of Quorum. He had previously called out the former Communications Secretary for not doing them insisting that he legally had to (a wrong assumption). He promised to get them all caught up in two months and then promised that all future ones would be completed within a week of the Quorum ending. He also promised to revitalize the GUM's media presence. The final commitment he made was to do the 2022 GUM census. 


  James Bornstein merely did two Quorum minutes and did not come through on his promise in the slightest. When questioned about this he stated, "Basically no engagement occurred with them. I realized it was worth dedicating my time to other parts and I did". When asked why he didn't notify Quorum of this decision he stated "Considering no one noticed and this isn't a legal mandate as I used to incorrectly think, I have not done this as of now." On September 16th he promised a third would be done within the next week. It was never released. Before he was elected he stated that he "I think I would do a good job at updating minutes. I have a lot of time". He also said the problem with minutes was "The issue with Minutes right now is not that they're too long it's that they are not being done". He has yet to fix that issue. 


   Twitter started to become far more active with posts being made regularly but the Instagram continued to be inactive although this was due to lack of access to the account. Nothing has been posted since November 17th. No GUM census was ever released. 


  Now let's move on to the current platform. They make six new promises. The first of which promises to redefine the relationship between the Chair and Vice-Chair. They state that they want them to be a team that works together. They also mention the fact that it has been a while since a Chair ended their term with the same Vice-Chair. I think this is an outstanding promise. I and others (I assume) are also tired of such a high turnover of Vice-Chairs. They promise to continue the Micronational Heritage Council which I think has established its worth and deserves to stay. The next promise they make is to use the executive rejections more liberally which I believe the last Chair has used at a good rate. I do not believe they need to be used more liberally. They promise to make sure Secretaries give reports at every Quorum which I believe will lead to more transparency. The final promises they make are for a community archive and a culture fair. A community archive would be extremely labor intensive however, I think would be a good idea however I doubt it will be maintained well. A culture fair would be a good thing to see and would be cool but not many particulars of how it would work out have been released.

    For my final remarks. I think it would be very hard to trust the promises of the Bornstein campaign as he has not fulfilled past promises. Most of the new promises are fairly solid and well-reasoned if given enough attention and fulfilled. Most of them are not new ideas though. 


 

Comments